Tuesday, November 8, 2011

J-A-M and Walking in frozen Alfalfa

My three year old spontaneously informed my husband today of how to spell jam, "J-A-M." She appears to do deep thinking while driving in the car, or she just has a captive audience, but he was taking the girls to the doctor and she just started phonetically playing and out came jam. It is a bit of wonder today that my daughter's brain is that developed and it makes me pause and look at all of the things she has learned and is. She's sweet and kind to her sister, she is very tender with me, she loves silliness and music and laughing and the kitty. She's her own person even as she's my little girl. But I know that will go so quickly, and I want to savor it more and more and just be in the moment with my children.

We've had some cold weather here and even snow yesterday. Cold I don't mind too much, but it's harder to love wind. My children sure don't! But today we had such a peaceful, calm, and warmer day. We went late this afternoon and walked behind the house and cut through an alfalfa field and then jumped into an empty ditch and explored that for a while before climbing back out and cutting across another field for home. It was delightful. My kids think walking in fields is the best thing ever, so much more exciting and stimulating than roads, even gravel ones. The sun set at the end of the walk and we got to experience the firey colors in the sky together. It was a sweet way to spend an hour. And an important one, too. In my efforts to let go of productivity in favor of peace and presence, I need to remember the lessons and feelings of that hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment